5 Tips for Spanish Speakers
Here are 5 tips for Spanish speakers who want to improve their English pronunciation:
1. Use a dictionary to hear the pronunciation of a word
2. Look at the IPA symbols underneath
- The IPA symbols tell you the pronunciation of the word.
- In the word debt you can see that the letter b is not pronounced: /dɛt/
- IPA stands for International Phonetic Alphabet.
3. Use my interactive sound charts to hear the sounds of English
4. Learn the /ə/ vowel
- It’s the most common vowel in English and it’s called the schwa.
- Watch my Schwa YouTube video to learn when to use it.
5. Pronounce all the consonants
- Spanish words don’t end with multiple consonant sounds.
- This means you may not pronounce all the consonants at the end of a word in English.
- For example, you may pronounce band as ban, last as las, and crisps as crip
- Practise saying English words slowly and ensure you are pronouncing all the consonant sounds.