Terms & Conditions
Please read these Terms & Conditions (“Terms”) carefully before using Improve Your Accent’s website https://www.ImproveYourAccent.co.uk, its products and services (“Services”). The Services include (but are not limited to) private lessons and workshops (“Lessons”), the online course (“Course”, including the “Online Classroom” and “Community Platform”) and the former course (“Former Course”). The Services are operated by Luke Nicholson and Improve Your Accent (“Improve Your Accent”, “us”, “we”, or “our”). By accessing or using our Services you enter into an agreement with Improve Your Accent and agree to be bound by these Terms and by the Private Policy (https://improveyouraccent.co.uk/privacy-policy/). You also confirm you have read and agreed to the Cookies Policy (described within the Private Policy). If you disagree with any part of the Terms then you do not have permission to access the Service.
1. Course (accessed at https://course.improveyouraccent.co.uk)
By signing up for an account to the Course, you accept and agree to the following terms:
- This is a self-paced course with materials to study in your own time.
- Live support is available through the online classroom (see below for more details).
- Support is also available by writing a message in the pop-up box or writing an email to Luke@ImproveYourAccent.co.uk. Alternatively you can get support through the Community platform (see below for more details).
- Private lessons or a full assessment are not included within the course subscription, but may be purchased separately.
- You will need the internet to access the course. A good internet connection is recommended in order to stream videos and audio effectively.
- The course is in English and teaches British English pronunciation.
- The course is for learners of English.
- The course may be tailored to your native language if you select the language on signing up for an account. You can change this at any time in the “My Profile” section of the course.
- Not all languages will be available. If your language is not available, you may select “My language is not listed” and you will be provided with a general pronunciation course which is not tailored to your native language.
- When you sign up to the course, you will automatically receive a series of welcome emails. You can unsubscribe at any time.
- When you subscribe to the course, you will automatically receive a series of onboarding emails with tips on how to make the most out of the course. You will also receive emails reminding you to study (if you haven’t logged into the course for a while) and emails congratulating you on your progress. You can unsubscribe to any of these emails at any time.
- This is a classroom session that is hosted on the https://www.demio.com/ webinar platform.
- You must register for each classroom session by clicking Bookmarks -> Online Classroom in the course sidebar. You will receive a personalised link via email, which you must use to join the session.
- Access is via your internet browser.
- Classroom sessions usually take place weekly, but there is no guarantee of this (e.g. when Luke is on holiday).
- No refund will be given if you are unable to attend a classroom session, if you think there are not enough classroom sessions in one month, if there are connection problems (either on your side or on Luke’s side), or if there are issues with Demio.com platform.
- Classroom dates are usually published each month on the Online Classroom page.
- You can request coaching in the chat window to receive some 1-1 coaching.
- This works on a first-come, first-served basis. Therefore there is no guarantee that you will get coaching when you request it. However, if you do not receive coaching, you are prioritised in the next classroom.
- If you would like coaching, you must use a computer or laptop (not a tablet/iPad or phone). Check your webcam/mic are working and that you have a good internet connection.
- There are no refunds if you do not receive coaching.
- You can also ask pronunciation questions in the chat window.
- Alternatively, you can simply observe the online classroom session and not participate.
- Your personal details (name, email, native language) will not be revealed to other attendees during the class. But if you post a question in the chat, your first name will be visible to other attendees.
- Your webcam/microphone will be switched off by default when you enter. But if you choose to chat via video, then other attendees will be able to see/hear you and are likely to find out your first name and native language.
- If you feel uncomfortable turning on your webcam, you can request to turn on your mic only.
- As a course subscriber, you will automatically receive monthly emails listing the classroom dates and encouraging you to register for them. You can unsubscribe at any time.
- Course subscribers have the option to join the Improve Your Accent Community Platform on Discord (https://discord.com/).
- As with any other social network, it’s important that you don’t share personal information with users you don’t know. You can choose your username and whether to have a profile picture or not. Please note that your microphone will turn on automatically if you select the chat with voice channel. Your video will turn on if you select the video button in this channel.
- To use the Community Platform, you must abide by the Community Platform rules https://course.improveyouraccent.co.uk/topic/GJB. Anyone who does not follow these rules may be banned from the platform.
- To report someone breaking the rules, direct message @Luke_ on Discord or email Course@ImproveYourAccent.co.uk. Reports will be treated with confidentiality.
- Although the Community Platform will be monitored for inappropriate content/language/behaviour, use is at your own risk and Improve Your Accent does not accept any liability for third-party claims or losses of any nature.
- When you connect with Discord through the Course website, your Discord ID, username, profile picture (avatar + banner) and email address are shared with this course. No information from this course is shared with Discord.
- You shall pay for the course in accordance with the procedure and prices outlined on the “My Subscription” page of the Improve Your Accent course (https://course.improveyouraccent.co.uk/subscription).
- The homepage, course introduction (“Welcome to the Course!”) and Lesson 1 (“Exploring the Speech Muscles”) can be viewed for free after signing up for the course. No credit card details are required.
- Your subscription will be auto-billed according to the billing cycle you selected when signing up until you request to cancel. Your next billing date can be found in “My Subscription”.
- If a subscription payment fails, you will be notified by email. The payment shall be tried twice more automatically over the next few days using the current payment method. If the payment continues to fail, your subscription will be cancelled. You can re-subscribe at any time using the same log-in details.
- If a subscription payment fails, you can continue your subscription immediately by clicking the “Update Payment Details” button on the “My Subscription” page and changing your payment details. Alternatively, you have the option to cancel immediately by clicking the “Cancel Subscription” button.
- If payment is made after the due date (either automatically through the billing system or by you manually making payment), your next billing date will be the same date of the month as when you started your subscription (as this is part of the subscription contract). For example, if your billing date is on 1st February and you pay on 2nd February, your next billing date will be on 1st March (not 2nd March). To avoid this, you can click the “Cancel Subscription” button and renew again with a new subscription.
- Subscriptions are for one user only. If you are an organisation, you must purchase a subscription for each individual user. A user’s login credentials will only work on one device at a time.
- It is your responsibility to ensure your email address is up to date. Any notification to you will be deemed effective if sent by email to the email address listed in “My Profile” (https://course.improveyouraccent.co.uk/myprofile). You can update your email address at any time in “My Profile”.
- There are no full, partial or prorated refunds. If you want to cancel, cancel at least 24 hours before your next billing date (which can be found in “My Subscription”).
- Feedback may be purchased at https://improveyouraccent.co.uk/feedback/.
- Feedback may not always be available to purchase. This is at the discretion of Improve Your Accent. Improve Your Accent reserves the right to temporarily suspend or permanently remove this service at any time.
- The audio recording must be no longer than 5 minutes. If it is longer than 5 minutes, feedback will only be given on the first 5 minutes.
- You must be a current course subscriber to use the Feedback service. If you purchase Feedback and you do not have a valid subscription, no feedback and no refund will be given.
- You must send the audio recording to Luke@ImproveYourAccent.co.uk within one month of payment. If you do not, no feedback and no refund will be given.
Please note that more detailed conditions regarding the Course can be found later in the Terms. It is your responsibility to read through the Terms.
By paying for and taking a Lesson you accept the following:
- If you reschedule or cancel a Lesson with less than 48 hours’ notice, then you will be charged for the Lesson.
- Payment must be made 48 hours in advance to confirm a Lesson.
- Lessons are 1-hour long (unless otherwise arranged). If you are late, the Lesson will still end at the scheduled time and Lesson time will not be made up.
- If you buy the 5-lesson package, 5 hours must be taken within 2 months of purchase. No refund will be given after this time.
- If you buy the 10-lesson package, 10 hours must be taken within 4 months of purchase. No refund will be given after this time.
- There will be no refund for connection problems that disrupt or delay Lessons conducted via the internet (e.g. via Google Meet, Skype, Zoom, Demio, Hangouts or another platform).
Please note that there are more conditions regarding Lessons later in the Terms. It is your responsibility to read through the Terms.
By signing up for an account to the Former Course, you accept and agree to the following terms:
- This is a self-study course. Private lessons and/or personal feedback are not included.
- You will need the internet to access the course. A good internet connection is recommended in order to stream videos and audio effectively.
- The course is in English and teaches British English pronunciation.
- The course is for learners of English.
- The course may be tailored to your native language if your native language is available.
- Even if you buy access to the Former Course, it does not give you access to the latest Course (accessed at course.improveyouraccent.co.uk) or future courses.
- You shall pay for the course in accordance with the procedure and prices outlined on the Improve Your Accent website.
- You will only be able to access the course on three separate devices (e.g. 2 computers + 1 iPad, or 1 laptop + 1 computer + 1 tablet). If a device breaks, email email@example.com to reset your device limit.
- It is suggested to use a tablet (e.g. iPad), computer, or laptop to access the course. You can use a phone, but the screen size will probably be too small.
- If you buy 15 or 40 weeks’ access you will have the option to upgrade to unlimited access at a later date. The price you pay will be the difference between the price of 15 or 40 weeks and unlimited access. Please note that I reserve the right to change the price of unlimited access at any time. There is no option to upgrade from 15 weeks to 40 weeks.
- There are no full, partial or prorated refunds.
Please note that more detailed conditions regarding the Former Course can be found later in the Terms. It is your responsibility to read through the Terms.
- The Service and its original content, features and functionality are and will remain the exclusive property of Improve Your Accent and its licensors. The Service is protected by copyright, trademark, and other laws of both the United Kingdom and foreign countries. Our trademark may not be used in connection with any product or service without our prior written consent.
- Improve Your Accent’s trademarks and logos may not be used in connection with any product or service that is not Improve Your Accent’s, in any manner that is likely to cause confusion among customers, or in any manner that disparages or discredits Improve Your Accent. All other trademarks not owned by Improve Your Accent that appear on this website are the property of their respective owners, who may or may not be affiliated with, connected to, or sponsored by Improve Your Accent.
- All material (including, but not limited to, text, images, logos, icons, audios, videos, animations, software code) is protected by copyright laws and is not to be copied or used in any way by you or any other party without permission from Improve Your Accent. You may not reproduce, upload, post or redistribute any part of the Course or any material residing on www.improveyouraccent.co.uk.
5. Use of Content
- You agree that you will use the Services for your own training purposes only.
- Access to the Course is for one user/individual only.
- An organisation must purchase a license for every individual to use the Course.
- You may not use the content of the Services for the teaching of students in a commercial environment or to distribute printed materials, videos or audio content to any other party without permission from Improve Your Accent.
- We grant you a limited license to access and make personal use of the content in the Service but that does not give you the right to download (other than page caching) or modify it, or any portion of it, except with express written consent of Improve Your Accent. This license does not include any resale or commercial use of this website or its contents; any collection and use of any product listings, descriptions, or prices; any derivative use of this website or its contents; any downloading or copying of account information for the benefit of another merchant; or any use of data mining, robots, or similar data gathering and extraction tools. Neither the Service nor any portion of it may be reproduced, duplicated, copied, sold, resold, visited, or otherwise exploited for any commercial purpose without the express written consent of Improve Your Accent. You may not frame or utilise framing techniques to enclose any trademark, logo, or other proprietary information (including images, text, page layout, or form) of Improve Your Accent without the express written consent of Improve Your Accent.
6. Responsibility for content
- Although the utmost care has been taken to ensure the material used in the Services is accurate and of the highest quality, it cannot be guaranteed that it will meet your needs, be uninterrupted or be error free. Improve Your Accent does not accept any liability for any error or omission. Use of content is at your own risk and Improve Your Accent does not accept any liability for third-party claims or losses of any nature.
- You accept full responsibility for determining whether the Services are suitable for any particular purpose and for protecting yourself against any possible consequential damages.
- While Improve Your Accent makes all reasonable attempts to exclude viruses and malicious code from the website and Course, it cannot ensure such exclusion and no liability is accepted for viruses. It is recommended that you take all appropriate safeguards before downloading information from this site.
- We reserve the right to change or update information and to correct errors, inaccuracies, or omissions at any time without prior notice.
7. Links To Other Web Sites
- The Service may contain links to third-party websites or services that are not owned or controlled by Improve Your Accent.
- Improve Your Accent has no control over, and assumes no responsibility for the content, privacy policies, or practices of any third-party web sites or services (including recording software downloads). We do not warrant the offerings of any of these entities/individuals or their websites.
- You acknowledge and agree that Improve Your Accent shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any such content, goods or services available on or through any such third party web sites or services.
- We strongly advise you to read the terms and conditions and privacy policies of any third-party websites or services that you visit.
- When you create an account with us, you guarantee that the information you provide us is accurate, complete, and current at all times. Inaccurate, incomplete, or obsolete information may result in the immediate termination of your account on the Service.
- You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your account and password, including but not limited to the restriction of access to your computer and/or account. You agree to accept responsibility for any and all activities or actions that occur under your account and/or password, whether your password is with our Service or a third-party service. You must notify us immediately upon becoming aware of any breach of security or unauthorised use of your account.
- We reserve the right to refuse service, terminate accounts, remove or edit content, or cancel orders in our sole discretion.
- If you wish to purchase any product or service made available through the Service (“Purchase”), for example Lessons or the Course, you may be asked to supply certain information relevant to your Purchase including, without limitation, your credit card number, the expiration date of your credit card, and your postcode/ZIP code.
- You represent and warrant that: (i) you have the legal right to use any credit card(s) or other payment method(s) in connection with any Purchase; and that (ii) the information you supply to us is true, correct and complete.
- Prices are quoted in UK pounds. If you do not hold an account in the relevant currency you may pay by debit card, credit card (or another method that Improve Your Accent provides) and your card company will exchange the amount charged to the currency of your country at their current rate.
- Improve Your Accent reserves the absolute right to accept or refuse any payment made in any form.
- To maximise security Improve Your Accent does not hold any credit/debit card details. They are held by the payment processors Stripe, Braintree and/or PayPal.
10. Subscription Purchases
- Some parts of the Service are billed on a subscription basis (“Subscription(s)”). You will be billed in advance on a recurring and periodic basis (“Billing Cycle”). You choose the Billing Cycle as part of the checkout process.
- At the end of each Billing Cycle, your Subscription will automatically renew under the exact same conditions unless you cancel it or Improve Your Accent cancels it. You may cancel your Subscription renewal by logging in to the online course, navigating to “My Subscription” and selecting cancel subscription. Alternatively, you may contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A valid payment method, including credit card, is required to process the payment for your Subscription. You shall provide Improve Your Accent with accurate and complete billing information including full name, postcode/zip code, and valid payment method information. By submitting such payment information, you automatically authorise Improve Your Accent to charge all Subscription fees incurred through your account to any such payment instruments.
- Should automatic billing fail to occur for any reason, Improve Your Accent will contact you via email indicating that you must update your card details within the Course, within a certain deadline date, with the full payment corresponding to the billing period, or your Subscription will be terminated.
11. Price Changes
- Improve Your Accent, in its sole discretion and at any time, may modify the Subscription fees. However, current users will not be affected by price increases. Once a user signs up, they will be billed the same price at sign up for all billing cycles.
- If a user cancels their subscription and chooses to start a new subscription in the future, the user must join at the going rate at the time of rejoining. The user cannot rejoin at the original rate of first purchase.
- Improve Your Accent, in its sole discretion and at any time, may modify the Lesson fees.
- Due to the nature of the Services and the fact that they cannot be “returned,” Improve Your Accent has a no refunds policy.
- You are able to cancel any future payments as long as you cancel at least 24 hours before the next billing date. You can find out the next billing date and cancel the subscription in “My Subscription” in the Course.
- There will be no partial (or prorated) refunds on monthly or annual payments.
- There will be no refunds for unused service (i.e. you cannot get a refund if you have subscribed but not used the service).
- If you cancel you will have access to the Course until the Subscription expires (i.e. until the end of your current billing period).
13. Voucher Codes / Gift Vouchers
- Improve Your Accent may from time to time offer discounts, voucher codes, promotion codes or other forms of promotion (“Promotion”).
- Promotions are only valid until the date specified and are not refundable. Only one Promotion may be used per customer per transaction. Improve Your Accent reserves the right to end any Promotions at any time including prior to the advertised end date without notice.
- Gift vouchers are non-refundable and not exchangeable for cash. They are only valid until the expiration date stated on the voucher.
14. Your Internet Connection
- The quality of your internet streaming is dependent on many factors. While we strive to provide you with a high-quality viewing experience, we make no guarantee as to the resolution or quality of the Lessons or Course you will receive when streaming.
- Information transmitted via Improve Your Accent will pass over public telecommunications networks. Improve Your Accent makes no representation or warranty that the operation of the website, Course or Lessons will be uninterrupted or error free and disclaims all liability in respect thereof.
15. Breach of the Agreement
- In the event the user breaches a term or condition of this agreement, Improve Your Accent has the right to cancel this agreement and the user’s license to use the Course.
- If Improve Your Accent believes the user is breaching or has breached the terms of this agreement, Improve Your Accent reserves the right to cancel and remove user access. In such cases, a refund will not be issued.
- In the event that you breach a term or condition of this agreement, Improve Your Accent reserves the right to commence proceedings to recover damages against you.
- You are free to stop using the Services at any time.
- Your use of the Service is at your sole risk. The Service is provided on an “AS IS” and “AS AVAILABLE” basis. The Service is provided without warranties of any kind, whether express or implied, including, but not limited to, implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, non-infringement or course of performance.
- Improve Your Accent, its subsidiaries, affiliates, and its licensors do not warrant that a) the Service will function uninterrupted, secure or available at any particular time or location; b) any errors or defects will be corrected; c) the Service is free of viruses or other harmful components; or d) the results of using the Service will meet your requirements.
- You agree to defend, indemnify and hold harmless Improve Your Accent and its licensee and licensors, and their employees, contractors, agents, officers and directors, from and against any and all claims, damages, obligations, losses, liabilities, costs or debt, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney’s fees), resulting from or arising out of a) your use and access of the Service, by you or any person using your account and password, or b) a breach of these Terms.
19. Limitation of Liability
- In no event shall Improve Your Accent, nor its directors, employees, partners, agents, suppliers, or affiliates, be liable for any indirect, incidental, exemplary, special, consequential or punitive damages, including without limitation, loss of profits, data, use, goodwill, or other intangible losses, resulting from (i) your access to or use of or inability to access or use the Service; (ii) any conduct or content of any third party on the Service; (iii) any content obtained from the Service; and (iv) unauthorised access, use or alteration of your transmissions or content, whether based on warranty, contract, tort (including negligence) or any other legal theory, whether or not we have been informed of the possibility of such damage, and even if a remedy set forth herein is found to have failed of its essential purpose.
20. Governing Law
- These Terms shall be governed and construed in accordance with the laws of the United Kingdom.
- We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to modify or replace these Terms at any time. Please ensure that you review these terms regularly. Your continued use of the Service will constitute acceptance to be bound by the revised Terms. If you do not agree to the new Terms, you are no longer authorised to use the Service.
- The most current version of the Terms will always be at https://improveyouraccent.co.uk/terms/.
22. No Waiver of Rights
- Our failure to enforce any right or provision of these Terms will not be considered a waiver of those rights. If any provision of these Terms is held to be invalid or unenforceable by a court, the remaining provisions of these Terms will remain in effect. These Terms constitute the entire agreement between us regarding our Service, and supersede and replace any prior agreements we might have had between us regarding the Service.
23. Questions regarding this Agreement
- If you have questions, you may email email@example.com